Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#9972 - 01/25/18 03:27 PM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
TeRRyZx Offline
Average
TeRRyZx  Offline
Average

Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A. Earth
It would sure be nice not to quit after launch and then hold Command & Option and restart again....

The Closer You Get to The Meaning
The Sooner You Know that You're Dreaming
~RJD~
#9974 - 01/26/18 10:40 AM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
James Thomson Offline
James Thomson  Offline

Deadly

Glasgow, Scotland
10.13.4 might fix this, but it's happening in the OS so I don't think there's a way for me to fix it in DragThing.

#9983 - 02/04/18 12:44 AM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
murk Offline
Mostly Harmless
murk  Offline
Mostly Harmless

Here's some added weirdness. I had stayed on Yosemite and El Capitan (two different boot drives) as long as I could but finally bit the bullet and jumped to High Sierra last month. I installed High Sierra and updated to 10.13.2. In each successivenversion of HS, DragThing had corrupted icons. I also had problems with Bluetooth headphones, the file system on my Fusion drive, etc. I then decided to take my Yosemite boot drive, wipe it clean and start fresh with Sierra 10.12.6. I have been going back and forth between HS and Sierra. After a few days all was well with Sierra, including Bluetooth and Dragthing 5.9.17. But I just now booted into Sierra for the third time today and Dragthing is a mess (it was fine earlier today). Worse icon distortions than High Sierra. 90% of icons are corrupted. The temp fix works but only per boot.

Reading through the thread I thought the problem was supposed to be only in High Sierra, not Sierra. I wonder if booting back and forth has contaminated my Sierra install (haha).

I did try a few of the other newer apps that do "similar" things like Dragthing does (iCollection and Dockshelf are two of them) but they seemed really buggy in HS. I understand why DragThing was abandoned but it still works great except for the icons.

#9984 - 02/04/18 12:47 AM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
James Thomson Offline
James Thomson  Offline

Deadly

Glasgow, Scotland
If you're booting back and forth, High Sierra will corrupt the icons, save them to your dock files, and then they'll still be messed up in Sierra. There's nothing wrong with DT on Sierra by itself, to my knowledge. And DT isn't abandoned as such, it's just been in maintenance mode while I work on PCalc.

#9985 - 02/05/18 05:12 PM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
murk Offline
Mostly Harmless
murk  Offline
Mostly Harmless

I decided to see what would happen if I booted into Sierra without the High Sierra boot disk mounted. Now Dragthing acts like its brand new and appears to ignore the Dragthing folder in Application Support and the prefs file that I copied over from High Sierra. None of my docks show up. I must create a brand new dock.

This made me think that the reason the Dragthing icons were messed up in Sierra was because it was still using the prefs and the Dragthing folder on the mounted High Sierra drive even though I booted from Sierra.

What's perplexing is that with the High Sierra drive disconnected and after copying the files AGAIN to the proper places on the Sierra drive, Dragthing still doesn't recognize the existing docks.

I re-read and followed the instructions for transferring Dragthing, which seem simple. What could I be missing?

#9986 - 02/08/18 01:05 AM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
James Thomson Offline
James Thomson  Offline

Deadly

Glasgow, Scotland
That does sound like what's happening. Are you sharing your home directory somehow between disks?

If you copied the preferences and the dock files from one machine to the other, and the other disk is still mounted, it makes (some) sense that it would be finding the originals. DragThing stores an alias to the dock files inside the preferences file, and that alias will prefer the original copy over a duplicate.

If you have dock files that aren't opening automatically, just double-click them. That will open them and keep them open.

#9987 - 02/08/18 11:11 PM Re: Dock icons are corrupted on macOS High sierra [Re: matsuda0707]  
murk Offline
Mostly Harmless
murk  Offline
Mostly Harmless

I had given up trying to fix Dragthing for a bit until I had finished moving everything over to my new drive. I finally ditched mounting High Sierra as as external drive and now am just using Sierra. I reinstalled Dragthing from scratch, moved all my pref files over from my old Yosemite drive and when I launched Dragthing, broke into a smile of joy. The icons are no longer corrupted and all the links automatically reverted to the Sierra versions since the same apps and files were all in the same paths from root.

I came back to add this update and saw you had also replied to my earlier message. Your insight is correct. Once the HS external drive was no longer in the mix, Dragthing (and a few other apps) are now working fine.

There really isn't anything else I could find out there that works the same way as Dragthing - it fits my work style. Glad to hear you won't be abandoning it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  James Thomson 

Newest Members
H J M, Tommy, Awphone, MarkCX, Robert
2740 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics2,230
Posts9,273
Members2,740
Most Online859
Mar 17th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Saskia 288
Jasoco 105
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Snodgrass), 462 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod