Next Thread
Print Thread
#9494 - 02/22/15 05:09 AM Question re: cabaility of keyboard customization  
ratman528 Offline
Mostly Harmless
ratman528  Offline
Mostly Harmless

Hi there,

I have the full version of PCalc for my iPhone 6, and I was working on making a custom layout for it when I noticed something I had a question about. On the "Programming" layout, the buttons for the calculator change based on what mode is selected: Dec, Hex, Oct, or Bin. I really like that feature, and I was trying to include it in my custom layout, so I duplicated the Programming layout and was working on editing it. However, when creating new buttons, I can't seem to find any options to control when the buttons are displayed based on what number base is selected. The closest I could get is to select the number base, then edit the keyboard layout. However, when I tried to add a new button and edit what the button is based on what number base is selected, I could not get it to work.

For example, I tried to create a button that would input Hex A when in Hex mode, 1010 when in binary, and a third option when in decimal. But instead the button simply says A when in base Hex, and it is greyed out when in Binary or Decimal mode.

Is it possible for me to do what I'm trying to do yet? Or is the "button switching based on number base" only available to the developer of the app?

A second, and much shorter question, was if I could make buttons share borders with each other when creating a custom layout? For example, see the "Programming" layout of PCalc again. I was wondering if I could tell two buttons to share their borders how the "dec hex oct bin" or the "( )" buttons share their borders.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions for me. I think this app is amazing and I'm trying to make it work even better for me.

Thanks,
AJ

#9495 - 02/23/15 12:42 PM Re: Question re: cabaility of keyboard customization [Re: ratman528]  
James Thomson Offline
James Thomson  Offline

Deadly

Glasgow, Scotland
The short answer is no, there isn't a way to do either of these currently from the edit UI. The underlying format supports it, I just need to come up with a good way to do it. If you don't mind editing the plist files, export your layout and manually tweak them.

It's definitely on my list!

#9496 - 02/23/15 03:48 PM Re: Question re: cabaility of keyboard customization [Re: ratman528]  
ratman528 Offline
Mostly Harmless
ratman528  Offline
Mostly Harmless

Ok, thank you very much for the prompt reply, I will look into this!

-AJ

#9863 - 04/25/17 01:28 AM Re: Question re: cabaility of keyboard customization [Re: James Thomson]  
fjpoblam Offline
Mostly Harmless
fjpoblam  Offline
Mostly Harmless

Add me to the list (if there is a list) of those interested. I was trying for awhile, then noticed in this thread it can't be done. A possible alternative would be, the ability in the editor to copy a key which *already* has the ability, and make a new key from the copy. E.g., I already have a key which in HEX mode enters "0000" and in DEC mode enters ".". Let me copy it so as to make a new key which in HEX mode enters "AND" and in DEC mode enters "ROUND". (Yes a stoopid example but somewhat illustrative.)

Moderated by  James Thomson 

Newest Members
Mige, wdjudd, JackLevy, RSquared, BobA
2705 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics2,216
Posts9,213
Members2,705
Most Online859
Mar 17th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Saskia 288
Jasoco 105
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 120 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod