10/15/14 05:35 PM PCalc 4.1 for Mac released! by James Thomson

PCalc 4.1 for the Mac is available here.

PCalc

PCalc

This update adds full support for OS X Yosemite, including a Notification Center widget, and support for Handoff of calculations between iOS devices and the Mac.

PCalc

It also brings the core code in line with PCalc 3.3.2 on iOS so you get all the improvements from that release too. Version 4.1 can import any custom layouts from iOS and sync changes via iCloud, but full editing on the Mac will come in the update after this one.

The full list of changes is here.

Let me know what you think. Reviews are always appreciated, as they help people make up their minds when buying. If you wrote a review already, updating it for 4.1 would be great too. Thanks!

2,023 Views · 0 Comments
09/16/14 03:38 PM PCalc 3.3 released! by James Thomson

A huge PCalc 3.3 update is waiting for you here.

Close to the Edit

This release adds a lot of cool stuff, but the two big headline items are:

• A powerful editor that lets you create your own custom button layouts - just tap and hold on any key to start editing. You can even create dedicated keys that perform unit conversions, run functions, and enter scientific constants. Changes will automatically sync to all your devices via iCloud, and you can export layouts to share with other people.
  • Full support for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6. That includes a brand-new Notification Center widget for quick calculations, Handoff for sending an in-progress calculation to another device, and support for the larger display of the iPhone 6 and the Retina HD display of the iPhone 6 Plus.

The full list of changes is here. A pack of screenshots for the new version (including iPhone 6 shots) is available here.

Despite taking me the past four months to write, this remains a free upgrade for existing users of PCalc. If you like it, please consider adding or updating a review to the App Store, and telling your friends. Good word of mouth makes a huge difference to sales, so anything you can do to get the word out is most appreciated.

PCalc 3.3 now requires iOS 7 or later. The update to PCalc Lite is still awaiting approval from Apple, and is expected to follow along shortly. An update for OS X Yosemite is also currently in the works, and should be released at the same time as the final OS.

I hope you like this release - please let me know what you think. And if you have any good layouts, send them to me at the usual address, and I'll collect the best of them here.

1,644 Views · 0 Comments
05/27/14 02:33 PM PCalc 3.2 for iOS released! by James Thomson

PCalc 3.2 is out! You can get it from the App Store here.

The Power of the Dark Side

PCalc on iOS now shares identical core code with the latest PCalc 4 version on the Mac, so it gains all the new features from that release, and a lot more besides.

Highlights include:

• The ability to intelligently search the functions, conversions and constants, including searching by unit abbreviation.
  • Enhanced user functions and conversions with RPN support and bitwise operators, along with separate user functions and constants for the non-decimal modes.
  • Trend arrows on the currency conversions, to show how the rates have changed recently.
  • An improved automatic night theme mode that can use the current screen brightness to switch theme, and lets you specify the day and night themes used.
  • A cool new dark theme called "Backlight" complete with glowing keys.

Hope you like this update - please let me know what you think. And if, you could add or update your review on the App Store, that would be most appreciated, thanks!

1,414 Views · 0 Comments
05/15/14 07:51 PM PCalc 4.0.2 released! by James Thomson

An update to PCalc 4.0.2 is live on the Mac App Store now.

This is another fairly small bug fix release, but it also adds a number of cool new features, including:

• Much improved user functions and conversions.
  • Support for hex, octal, and binary specifc user functions and constants.
  • An option to stop the buttons from taking clicks when in the background, so clicking on the calculator window to switch to it won't accidentally trigger commands.

One thing to note with the user functions - if you use any of the new commands, they won't sync over via iCloud to the existing iOS version. An updated iOS version that supports the latest stuff is coming very soon, I'm just putting the finishing touches to it now.

As with PCalc 4.0, this is a free upgrade for existing Mac App Store users, and for anybody who purchased PCalc 3 via Kagi since the 1st of April 2013.

Hope you like it! Reviews are appreciated, as they are a good way to encourage people to buy. If you wrote a review already, updating it for 4.0.2 would be great too. Thanks!

1,241 Views · 0 Comments
04/18/14 07:08 PM PCalc 4.0.1 released! by James Thomson

PCalc 4.0.1 is now out on the Mac App Store.

This is a small bug fix release, mainly to fix a rare crash in 4.0 when switching layouts, and the problem that occured if the "Arial Rounded MT Bold" font was missing. But, there are a couple of new features too:

• Added a "Last" key in algebraic mode which retrieves the result from the last time you pressed equals.
  • Added a "00" key to most of the layouts for Accounting mode.
  • You can now choose to automatically display big or small numbers in engineering mode, rather than scientific.
  • A number of new keyboard shortcuts for things like changing decimal places, adding lines, editing constants etc.

As with PCalc 4.0, this is a free upgrade for existing Mac App Store users, and for anybody who purchased PCalc 3 via Kagi since the 1st of April 2013.

Hope you like it, please let me know what you think via email or twitter. And, if you wrote a review for 4.0, it would be a great help if you could update it for the 4.0.1 version - thanks!

1,486 Views · 0 Comments
Newest Members
TaslimaRahman, roberta559, ricardodefaria, JJack, Matooba
2671 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics2,197
Posts9,146
Members2,671
Most Online859
Mar 17th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Saskia 288
Jasoco 105
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Snodgrass), 397 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod